Thursday, January 3, 2013

Are Tapers Good or Bad for Your Ears?

For about as long as stretching your ears has been popular, the topic on whether or not to use tapers has been a back and forth endless debate. Here's my personal opinion on the matter. I don't agree with using tapers EVERY time you stretch. However, I don't exactly agree with not using them ever. In order for me to further explain, let me start off by showing you the sizing chart for gauged ears.

Now, if you're still wondering where I'm going with this, take a good look at the chart. Sizes in between 16G and 2G generally only have a 1 or 1.4mm difference. Using tapers in the early stages of stretching won't do too much damage to the tissue because the jump is slight. Once you get pass 2G, the sizes jump by 2 or 3mm, which doesn't seem like much, but can be brutal on the tissue when using a taper since tapers aren't the most gradual and steady form of stretching. 

I personally used tapers up until I wanted to stretch to a 0G. When I attempted the stretch with a taper the first time, I found it more difficult and painful. So I decided to begin using the PTFE teflon tape method to further stretch my lobes.I am now currently at a 9/16" and have had no issues stretching using the taping method.
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people who have had nothing but success in using tapers to stretch up. Everyone's ears are just about as different and unique as their fingerprints. 
To end this post, I will say this: if you ARE going to continue (or start) using tapers to stretch, make sure you:

1. NEVER leave the taper in your ear for longer than 2 minutes following a fresh stretch. Some people like to wear tapers as jewelry, however, you must remember that each new stretch is equivalent to getting a fresh piercing. Tapers are larger on one side, meaning they distribute an uneven amount of weight on your lobes. This can lead to a blow out and cause the tissue to heal improperly and be more susceptible to infection. After you've successfully pulled the taper through your lobe, immediately follow it with the new jewelry (preferably a stainless steel plug or tunnel to assist in the healing process.)

2. ALWAYS use stainless steel tapers. I know, it's super tempting to use those kick-ass skull tapers you bought from Hot Topic the other day, but chances are they're made of acrylic. Most people aren't allergic to acrylic, but since acrylic is a more porous material (think of the holes in a sponge), bacteria is more likely to get trapped inside your piercing and cause an almost immediate negative reaction including bleeding, inflamed, sore to the touch, infected ears . An infected ear will force you to not only have to take out the larger sized jewelry, but you may even be forced to down-size your ears (the complete opposite of what you were actually trying to achieve.)

3. Pull the taper through SLOWLY. Need I say more? It's not like ripping off a band-aid. Swift and quick won't work in this situation.

In upcoming posts, I'll explain some other methods of stretching that are harmless and ones that are questionable.

Adios!
x0x0x0
Auri

No comments:

Post a Comment